Friday, May 9, 2008

Keep It Slow

I feel like it is time to slow it down.  Keep it slow, if you will.  I'm not talking about slowing it down for the ladies; I'm talking about slowing it down for yourself...and if you are a lady, well, this notion still applies.

I, personally, am all for rocking out, as if the bands I have previously posted aren't enough evidence.  It's not even that I like rocking out just in the car, or at the gym...I like rocking out at work.  Whether it's to drown out that one co-worker who eats lunch at their desk, chomping, with an open mouth, or not, it's just how I do it.  However, there comes a time when I like to get my ambient on.  

Here are some of my favorite slower songs and the bands that write them.

Jimmy Eat World - Table for Glasses: when people hear or read the name Jimmy Eat World, they immediately think about this band's absurdly catchy pop hits.  What many people don't know is that before the Bleed American album (you may be used to hearing the song "The Middle" in your favorite bar), Jimmy Eat World was gaining a cult flowing for their raw, indie records.  The song Table for Glasses is my favorite song of all time, and their album Clarity is my favorite album of all time.  It is only fitting that I start this post with this song.  I urge you to pick up this album.

The Postal Service - Recycled Air: Death Cab for Cutie's front man Ben Gibbard's electronic side project.  Think Death Cab, but slower and electronic.  How can it not be good?

Sunny Day Real Estate - Tearing in My Heart: Sunny Day Real Estate is considered one of the bands that started the emo movement back in the early '90s.  After a short break up in the mid '90s and a line up change, Sunny Day came back with a couple albums in 1998 and 2000, including The Rising Tide, where Tearing in My Heart was plucked.

Modest Mouse - Blame It On The Tetons: I have a very fond memory of driving to Vegas while I was living in LA with this album, Good News For People Who Love Bad News, on repeat.  It does have some songs I feel don't really fit, nonetheless, it is a really good album.  An interesting side note: I heard the lead singer of Modest Mouse is kind of a masochist.  Apparently during a show, he cut himself on stage.  Weird.  Can you say veiled emo?  Just listen to the lyrics...

The Most Serene Republic - Stay Ups: I am really into this band right now.  They are a seven piece band comprised of 3 guitars, trombone, piano, violin, bass, drums and a couple vocalists...they provide an interesting, intricate sound.  I wouldn't go as far as saying their music is very accessible, but give it a chance.  It'll grow on you for sure.

Thrice - Silver Wings: I've made it a point to mention Thrice's Alchemy Index albums, so I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here.  Just check this song out, it's amazing.

Right Away, Great Captain - Right Ahead, Young Sailor: RAGC is the concept side project of Manchester Orchestra front man, Andy Hull.  If you don't know Manchester Orchestra, you will.  I have a song coming from them shortly.  This band was contrived as a three part story, told over three albums, about a mid-17th century fictional sailor.  Andy Hull explains the whole story here if you care to find out more.  Anyways, it's very interesting and creative. 

The Sound of Animals Fighting - The Heretic: I love this band.  Unfortunately they aren't a full-time band.  TSOAF is comprised of members of Circa Survive, RX Bandits, Good Old War, Chiodos, Finch, The Autumns and others, each contributing various songs, melodies, and instrumentals.  Originally inspired by the Mars Volta (= awesome), The Heretic is taken from the band's second album, Lover, The Lord Has Left Us.  This is a stunningly dark and beautiful song.  If you decide to listen to the rest of the album, be prepared...let's just say it is experimental.

Yo La Tengo - I Feel Like Going Home: I'm not really sure what to say about these folks.  They have a really interesting sound and been around forever, so they must be doing something right.  I Feel Like Going Home is my favorite song by far on the album I'm Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass.  Possibly the best album name ever.

Manchester Orchestra - Sleeper 1972: We're back to Manchester Orchestra.  Once of the reasons I like this band is the song writing is completely anecdotal.  No metaphors, no bullshit, and it is depressing to boot.  Sleeper 1972 is a sad one.

The Winston Jazz Routine - Sospiri: I really want to like this band, but every time I come away from listening to them, the only adjective I can think to describe them is boring.  I really like this song though.  There isn't very much to it, just a simple melody.

You can stream all of these songs in the player on the right side of the page.  If you like any of them, leave a comment and I'll see what I can do about getting you a copy.

Keep it slow.

JMMP.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

JMMP, great blog, the ipod feature allows me to avoid the small yet overwhelming hassle of searching for these songs in another tab.
Analytical question here from an outsider. The distribution of popular songs among this decade's bands has been vast. One hit wonders are no longer a negative connotation. Rising artists in the industry view one hit song or album as financing for a future after music. On the other hand, many of the most respected bands which you have referred to in this very blog either live or emerge overnight from complete obsurity - as such this blog is a useful tool for me. Combined this has created a market for established bands to either continue or reinvigorate their careers - I refer you to U2's popularity today.
With this in mind, pending agreement or disagreement, how do you feel this decade's brand of music will be viewed 10, 20, 30 years down the line? Thank you.

Juxtapose My Music Pls. said...

ecf - thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I think you bring up a great question.

I feel as though many of the bands I present here will remain in relative esoterica 10, 20 years down there road. The reason for this is the music industry as a whole will continue to pursue bands that brandish the obligatory hook. I don't type that with disillusionment, or bitterness, but knowing that is the public way.

We live in time where people want everything NOW. How this relates to music is that people don't want to give a song 3, 4, or 5 listens (which is what it takes sometimes to process a song), but turn it off, or switch radio stations and go to the next song, waiting for that hook, or catchy melody.

I guess I kind of pride myself on talking about bands and recommending songs that lack the proverbial "line that defines success". The bands/songs I highlight provide for example, deeper lyrics, a complicated melodical arrangement or even a simple song structure, but one that is unique. I don't want to sound arrogant about it, it's just what my ears react to.

Let me ask you this, if you took any song streaming on my blog right now and pushed it on the public radio stations, played it in bars, and dubbed it a pop hit, would the public follow suit? How would that affect the music industry?

Anonymous said...

JMMP, I think you bring to light a valid point and the industry barrier to your brand of music; quality vs. marketability on today's radio. Just like food, a song has a shelf life, let's assume around 6-9 months, of radio presence. It is significantly easier to get a song stuck in any listener's head with two lines that rhyme than it is to promote an artistic song's lyrical value. In the latter case it would require extended marketing just to develop a following - obviously less conducive to the song's success.
With that said, I agree that this is an indication of society today, just as you suggested. Older artists like Led Zepplin & Pink Floyd flourished without catch phrases and are still popular to this day. However, this style of music essentially took a back seat to modern pop in the 80's in my mind (see Gensis w/ Peter Gabriel vs. Phil Collins)