Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Album Review: The Republic Tigers - Keep Color

Artist: The Republic Tigers
Album: Keep Color
Release Date: May 6, 2008
Label: Chop Shop Records

I stumbled upon The Republic Tigers while trying to find some good bands to see in the DC area.  In fact, I probably would have skipped over them had it not been for their name.  For some reason, I really like it and I can't tell you why.  I'm not trying to be cryptic.  I just like it.

Anyways, after liking their name, I checked out their music and was hooked.  They have an interesting fusion of spacey vocal melodies, acoustic pop and electronica...in fact, I've been trying to relate them to another band, but I'm having trouble; maybe The Shins mixed with a musically upbeat Death Cab for Cutie.

The album, Keep Color, itself is compromised of 12 songs of about the same tempo.  I feel like when an album has little variance in the type of songs musically, their success hinges on vocal divergence across the songs.  With tracks like Weatherbeaten, Give Arm to Its Socket and Stranger to the Eyes of a Child-Man, TRT accomplish that; however, the album falls short when it comes to accomplishing that comprehensively across the album.  It is important to say that the songs that do do that, are well worth a listen, so I recommend checking out this album.

Another supporting quality is The Republic Tigers put on a great show, so if you have the chance, check them out.  They are playing Letterman 5/22 so that'll give you an idea.

The songs on their myspace page aren't their best/ones I was talking about earlier, so I'm going to work on uploading the new album to my blog.  I hope to have them up tomorrow.

Time to zzzzzzzz.

JMMP. 

No comments: