Monday, May 5, 2008

Bamboozle Review

I'm getting to old for that shit.

Actually, the real interaction went like this:

The scene, 1:45PM EST Sat. 5/3 (the first day of the show). My buddy and I had arrived 30 minutes prior. After fighting through a horde of teenagers to make it to the first act of the day...

Me: "I'm too old for this shit." My friend and I then looked at each other and nodded in unison.

Truthfully, I feel like I am getting too old for the Bamboozle. The whole pop/punk thing, which is the majority of the acts, certainly isn't my scene. The mean age is 16. I can only stand dodging empty plastic beer bottles for a half a day, let alone two days. 

However, despite my mopey disposition, there were a couple amazing acts and moments that made this predominantly sophomoric event, memorable.

Here are a couple highlights:

Dr. Manhattan: I was psyched when they were a late add to the bill; and I wasn't disappointed by their performance. This is a band that plays without inhibition. Not only do they jump around the stage like crazy people, they rock out, and rock out well. Dr. Manhattan has a interesting fusion of muffled guitars, melodic vocals/yelling and tip-toeing piano that produce a unique, intricate sound. This is a band that has the potential to follow in the footsteps of their Vagrant Records predecessors, The Get Up Kids, as something great.

The Receiving End of Sirens: As I mentioned in the Bamboozle Preview post, the Bamboozle show was their last. It's true you never realize what you've got until it's gone. I know, that was cheesy. But ever since their set finished, I've been weirdly bummed that I won't be able to watch them play again, let alone hear any new music.

If there is an example to support my gloom, it's that throughout the Bamboozle Festival on Sunday, I heard 4 bands specifically mention The Receiving End of Sirens' last set and that anyone listening should go watch them play. Those bands called them true musicians, mentors and great guys to be around. As The Receiving End of Sirens played their last set, I saw members of other bands shuffle backstage to watch with alacrity, knowing conversely, like the fans, there was a finite time remaining in the band's life.

The progressive/indie world lost a great band on Sunday.

Bummed.

Circa Survive always provides an entertaining show; soaring vocals, great energy and seemingly dueling guitars, one spouting melodic jabs after the other. Also, I have a musical man crush on Circa's vocalist, Anthony Green. So dreamy.

The Dear Hunter: Former The Receiving End of Sirens multi-instrumentalist's now full-time project seeps musical progression. Despite a self-dubbed Indie description, The Dear Hunter encapsulates elements of the jazz, electronica, rock, post-hardcore, progressive and ambient genres. The best way to explain their music is to point you to their myspace and ask you to keep an open mind.

Coheed and Cambria: Professional. Rock. Band. Coheed rocked so hard I peed a little. While their set was comprised of some of my favorites (No World For Tomorrow, Welcome Home, Mother Superior), I would have to say my favorite memory of watching them play is when Claudio (the lead singer) gave a shout out to Bret Michaels, who was standing on the side of the stage. Apparently, Claudio had joined Bret during his set earlier that day. Bret Michaels people. Bret Michaels. Maybe he was taping "Rock of Love III: Bamboozle Edition"...gross.

The Starting Line: Bamboozle was unfortunately their last show as well. While I grew apart from these guys over the years, they have certainly provided a myriad of memorable songs that are constantly in rotation in my iTunes.

Why is it that the bands with talent break up? Why not Barry and the Penetrators? They win worst band at Bamboozle this year.

Just added: Bamboozle Slideshow!  Check the top right of the page.

JMMP.

No comments: